Usage Policy and Disclaimer
Data and web site providers make no guarantees or warranties as to the accuracy or completeness of results obtained from accessing and using information from GeneWeaver. We will not be liable to any user or anyone else for any inaccuracy, error or omission, regardless of cause, in the data contained in the GeneWeaver databases or any resulting damages. In addition, the data providers do not warrant that the databases will meet your requirements, be uninterrupted, or error-free. Data providers expressly exclude and disclaim all expressed and implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. Data providers shall not be responsible for any damage or loss of any kind arising out of or related to your use 'of the databases, including without limitation data loss or corruption, regardless of whether such liability is based in tort, contract, or otherwise.
To report any errors found in the GeneWeaver database, please notify the appropriate person listed on our Contacts page.
Data Sharing Policy
In addition, our directives to share data stem from the NIH Data Sharing Policy that states:
Data should be made as widely and freely available as possible while safeguarding the privacy of participants, and protecting confidential and proprietary data.
- In order to integrate data from many users, while protecting private data, we must store data on your server. User contact information is collected for optional display with your gene sets to foster collaborative research.
- Entering user information is not mandatory.
- User information will not be sold or otherwise distributed.
- GeneWeaver records some information about how the site is used such as the IP address of machines accessing data sets. This information is used to monitor our system performance, to prevent abuse of the system, and to guide further development of the GeneWeaver. This information is stored on the server in files that are accessible to members of the development group. Specific information will not be released.
- When you visit GeneWeaver, your use of the site is recorded in two ways. First, your use is logged by the Web server in standard log files. The IP address of your machine, the date and time, and the name of the page you visit are recorded. Second, for each request from the SQL database, the GeneWeaver records your IP number, the time, and the data set from which you request information. This information is collected for statistical purposes. Our system uses a software program (Analog) to create summary statistics that we find helpful in assessing patterns of data use, in measuring system performance, and in detecting problem. This information is used to provide you with better internet service.
- GeneWeaver also may request permission to place a so-called 'cookie' text file on your system to allow you to retain information on your set-up preferences.
- For site security purposes and to ensure that this server remains available to users, this computer system employs programs that monitor network traffic to identify unauthorized attempts to upload or change information, and to detect unusually high numbers of requests from single IP addresses. By accessing this site, you expressly consent to usage monitoring of this site for unauthorized or unusually activities. Unauthorized attempts to upload information and change information on GN are prohibited.
- In some cases, personal identifier information such as name or e-mail is requested or required. This information may be posted for public access along with the submitted comments and messages that it accompanies. In all cases, participation is strictly voluntary and no other use is made of the information. User data can be labeled as private, group or public on submission. Permissions can be changed. Gene sets that are not marked as public will not be included in global analyses of the database contents.